You get to overhear a lot of conversations on the bus, and learn some pretty personal things about your fellow riders. While the overwrought tales of interpersonal drama can be irritating, more often they are entertaining. If only I did not have to overhear crap like a conversation concerning the election between two seemingly educated, seemingly intelligent, liberal young men, wherein I learned the following:
- Rudy Giuliani shouldn’t be president because he is bald.
- John McCain is too old to be president.
- Rudy Giuliani clearly has mob ties, as he is from New York and has an Italian name.
- Although they both agree with Hillary more than Obama, they will vote for Obama because he gives them the warm fuzzies, or something.
- Obama should do something more interesting with his hair, like get dreadlocks.
For the most part, these things are just asinine (although the thing about Obama’s hair is plain offensive); it makes me very sad, however, that these are the kinds of things people are discussing concerning the election. I am not sure if this is because these two young men were particularly dim-witted, or because the election really does not bring up anything of meaning - just campaign slogans and meaningless mud-slinging. I am sure that it is fucking depressing to hear shit like this.