Latoya, a guestblogger at Feministe, writes about ‘Before I Discovered Feminism…‘ - looking forward to reading more.
Archive for August, 2008
- A comparison of anti-trans arguments to anti-gay rhetoric at Fetch me my axe. Why all the stuff about trans issues? Because 1. I want it clear I do not believe that trans individuals or politics are a threat to feminism, and 2. those of us who are not anti-trans need to be vocally pro-trans.
- Nojojojo at the Angry Black Woman on POC on TV.
- Carnival against Sexual Violence 53, with links to posts on legal aspects, media, research, recovery, and other topics.
- Michelle Obama guest posts at BlogHer.
- Speaking of Obama…some dipshit produced shirts that said “Obama is my slave” is being sued by another dipshit who was surprised that black people were offended by it.
- On the lighter side, Pajiba finishes off a series on the greatest TV seasons of the last 20 years with Season 2 of The Office (US version).
I have been mulling over the issues of transphobia, cis-privilege, and radical feminism for awhile. I wanted to write a rebuttal to the idea that “Transwoman is the patriarchy”, but I can’t really get past the stabbing pain behind my eyes. Yes, I’m sure that people who are subjected to high levels of violence, rape, and abuse are just transitioning genders to infiltrate women-only spaces, and to reinforce gender binary. Pfft.
“Transgenderism” is not an ideology. There are, only, transgendered people, and what is being targeted as an abstract ideology is in fact trans peoples’ rights to be transgendered . . .
That some feminists have chosen to periodically constitute us as a threat to feminism is beyond appalling.
ETA: Femmessay was somehow able to get past the stabbing pain and write a post.